Could You Give Up Your Mobile Phone?

Further to my last post which revealed the possibility that mobile phones may be contributing to the decline of Bees in recent years I have been thinking about all of our modern day gadgets and whether I would be willing to give them up.

Mobile phones for example have been around for what is still a relatively short period of time. I am 38 years old and can easily remember a time in my personal and working life where mobile phones were not common place, and barely in existence.

Today mobile phones are a huge part of our lives and valuable to us for a multitude of reasons.

Children have them to keep in touch with friends and even as a safety aspect.

This can be for parents who want to know where their children are, therefore able to contact them at any time, so long as they answer the phone!

It can also provide them with a method of emergency communication if needed. Similarly many adults have them solely for emergency use to provide that instant method of communication with their loved ones, signal permitting!

We use them in the work place exhaustively. I have a mobile phone for work and now accept that if someone wants to speak to me for a non urgent issue they will call me on my mobile. They may have called the office or have received an automatic email from my work computer telling them that I am working on site and will return to the office the following day however, they will call my mobile, and if I do not respond will continue to call it until they reach me thinking nothing of the effort or intrusion. In turn I think nothing of the intrusion or their persistent efforts, being use to instant access to people myself.

Mobile phones also provide an instant mode of contact with loved ones simply for the purpose of expressing our affection. A small text to convey the message 'thinking of you' can mean so much and is something we treasure being able to do.

Furthermore with IPhones and such devices extending the use of the mobile for a huge variety of applications we are becoming more dependant on them and used to their benefits.

So what if we were asked to give them up for the betterment of the world we live in, would you be willing to do this?

To use Bees as an example, were the research proved conclusive, Bees have the following benefits:

Bee Facts Text Credit:
Wiki Answers
BNET UK

One mouthful in three of the foods you eat directly or indirectly depends on pollination by honey bees. Crops from nuts to vegetables and as diverse as alfalfa, apple, cantaloupe, cranberry, pumpkin, and sunflower all require pollinating by honey bees. In fact most food crops are pollinated by bees, and if the bees disappeared the crops would fail.

But the bees' importance goes far beyond agriculture. They also pollinate more than 16 percent of the flowering plant species, ensuring that we'll have blooms in our gardens.
I have posted a poll at the top of this page on the right hand side and would be most grateful if you could give this topic your consideration and then cast your vote. I will be reviewing the results and posting my findings at the beginning of July 2010.

Please be honest, I am not here to judge anyone and greatly appreciate your opinion.

If you wish to leave a comment regarding your vote, this post or this blog I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Image Credit:
Urban Bee Gardens

Deakin University

Comments

  1. I could give it up if everybody else did it too and made the old phones to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, actually I would really love that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do about Wrapping? (2)

Social Screening?