Cyber Government

I have recently signed a petition on the 10 Downing Street website to have an additional bank holiday each year.

The petition was created by Robert Warner and reads:

'We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to create a new
public holiday, the National Remembrance Holiday to commemorate
The Fallen and our Nation, with the holiday falling on the
second Monday in November each year, the day after Remembrance
Sunday.'

If you wish to sign follow this link.

I have come across various petitions on the Downing Street website now. Here is the official introduction to e-petitions.

Downing Street is working in partnership with the non-partisan charitable project mySociety to provide a service to allow citizens, charities and campaign groups to set up petitions that are hosted on the Downing Street website, enabling anyone to address and deliver a petition directly to the Prime Minister.

mySociety is a charitable project that runs many of the UK's best-known non-partisan political websites, like HearFromYourMP.com and TheyWorkForYou.com. mySociety is strictly neutral on party political issues, and the e-petition service is within its remit to build websites which give people simple, tangible benefits in the civic and community aspects of their lives. For more information about mySociety and its work, visit its website.

The e-petition system has been designed to be transparent and trustworthy. For legal and anti-spam reasons this site cannot host every petition submitted, but the rule is to accept everything that meets the terms and conditions of use.

No petition will be rejected unless it violates these terms. And even when petitions cannot be hosted No10 will still publish as much of rejected petitions as is consistent with legal and anti-spam requirements, including the reason why it could not be hosted.

If you have any questions about the service, you can email either the Downing Street web team at webmaster@pmo.gov.uk or mySociety at team@mysociety.org.


 Government Palace - the seat of the Mexican Government

I think it is a fabulous service and about time is was expanded to permit the public to vote on issues being considered within Government, having a direct say in policy creation. I think the publics vote should be considered as a percentage vote for any policy under debate. It would also permit consultation with relevant industries throughout this country, and where relevant other countries. This could even extend to the UN!

What are your thoughts?

I am going to try and draw up a statement that effectively expresses this and post it as a new petition on the Downing Street website. Any thoughts or contributions will be gratefully received. I will let you know when it's up in case you want to sign it!

Image Credit: Phoenyxx - Government Palace

Comments

  1. Hi! It is a busy time of year. There is so much more to do when the water
    buckets freeze, and snow needs to be shoveled to let the animals out, etc.
    It can be quite tiring.

    I do not know Joni personally. I wish I did. I had to look in my Bloglines,
    though, to find out what was going on.

    Fortunately in this case, I had a bunch of unread posts still in my Bloglines.
    This was posted to Joni's blog on Jan. 26:


    Hi All,
    This post is to inform all of my readers that, after today, I will be closing this blog "My Piece of Heaven." I sure have enjoyed meeting all those other bloggers (and the occasional passerby) and I hope to continue reading/posting at my favorite blogs- as much as possible anyway. The reason is simple. Yesterday, I was informed that my job would become more entailed so to speak. Up to this point, I was really only working one or two hours a day. That would leave a good amount of time for photography and blogging. So with more working hours, Cooper, and our upcoming calving season I feel I can no longer provide the time it does take to post to this blog each day. And I would much rather go out on top than let this blog fall to the wayside. I guess it is a matter of priorities and at this point the blog is at the bottom. Thanks so much to all of you for leaving comments and brightening my day.

    Sincerely,
    Joni

    Unfortunately I don't have an email address or any other contact information for her.
    I'm sorry that she deleted her blog when she decided to stop, otherwise she could
    have just picked up again and posted when she's able.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Caroline, it is very kind of you to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to do about Wrapping? (2)

Social Screening?